8.10.2011

Predicting The Future

It's time for my yearly predictions of the big leagues in Europe. I'll make my predictions of the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A. Along with that I'll make predictions of the various trophies within each those leagues and the mother of all, the UEFA Champions League. With all the movement of players and teams looking to figure out a way to beat Barcelona, this could be a very interesting year in European football. This is how I see it shaking out:

English Premier League
Champion: Manchester United- There is too much talent on this roster to not win it. While I think De Gea will cost them a few points here and there, players like Young, Smalling, Gibson, etc. will make a huge impact. With Rooney having an actual off season, I think he'll terrorize the rest of the league. Rooney, Nani, Chicharito, Giggs, and Hernandez? Yeah, good luck stopping that one.

2nd Place: Chelsea
- As much as it pains me to say it, Chelsea has a very talented squad. If Torres, and this is a huge if, can find form then they'll push United for that top spot. If not, well then they'll be in a dog fight to stay in a Champions League spot.

3rd Place: Manchester City
- It's ridiculous to look at the roster of this team and imagine them not winning anything this year. That, however, is exactly what I think will happen. It's wonderful to have a bunch of stars, it's something entirely different to build chemistry and be a good team. City simply lacks that team mentality. Wonderful talent all over the field, but they have yet to show me the ability to consistently put it together into something meaningful.

4th Place: Arsenal
- Many people are saying this will be the year Arsenal finally falls out of the top four; I'm not seeing it. The Cesc issue is beyond annoying, but no matter what they will field a very capable team. It'll be a dog fight for these spots as Liverpool and Spurs will be right there, but I see Arsenal finding a way to pull it out in the end.

Relegated: Wolves, Norwhich, and QPR.
- Two of the three newly promoted sides, I think, will find their stays in the premier league very short. I want QPR to do well, but I just don't see it happening. I think Swansea has enough talent and plays well enough that they will find a way to not only stay up, but finish near the middle of the table and possibly even push for a Europa spot. Wolves stay in the top flight has been remarkable, but I think it'll come to an end this season.

The FA Cup
Champion: LiverpoolThis team simply has too much talent to not win anything. Without the congestion of Champions League (I doubt they put a ton of effort into Europa) they'll make a push for this one to please the fans that are understandably a bit frustrated. Believe me, I don't want them to win it, but it seems a logical choice.

Runners Up: Manchester City
- They'll put a large focus on retaining this cup, but in the end come up short to a team with a bit more flair in the final third.

Spanish La Liga
Champion: Barcelona - I want to believe that Real Madrid has what it takes to knock them off this year, but I don't think anybody in the world can. Barcelona could easily be the best club team of all time right now. They have talent at every level and seem to only be getting better. Their defense, as is always discussed, seems a bit thin. However, the very best defense is the Barcelona offense. If the other team never has the ball, they can't score.

2nd Place: Real Madrid
- I think it will be a very tight race, but in the end Barca will get enough points off of Madrid to keep them separated. Those classico matches will be key in determining the champion this year, no doubt in my mind.

3rd Place: Valencia
- They will be the best of the rest. Like in years past, the points difference from 2nd to 3rd will likely be in the double digits. It's no secret among the rest of the teams in La Liga that it's simply a race for that 3rd and 4th place spot for Champions League.

4th Place: Athletico Madrid
- The other Madrid side, in my opinion, will have a very good season and edge out the likes of Villarreal and Sevilla for the last Champions League spot. It's hopeful thinking, I know, but I'd love to see Forlan back in the champions league.

Copa Del Rey
Champion: Real Madrid - I think Madrid will, once again, get the better of Barcelona in this tournament. Mourinho can't lose to Barca in everything and once again, this will be the place he is dominant. Lets just hope Ramos isn't allowed to hold the trophy on the bus again.

Runners Up: Sevilla
- I honestly think the Madrid v Barca match will happen in the semis. It's all about the luck of the draw in these things, and that seems a likely action. Sevilla will get into the final and then be blasted by Madrid.

Italian Serie A
Champion: AC Milan - While other teams, especially Inter, have struggled to bring in anybody of interest this off season, Milan has been on the move. Their transfers have setup a team that, in my opinion, could very easily surprise quite a few people both in league play and in champions league. So long as the midfield and defense stays healthy, this team could do something very special this season. I don't see anybody in the Italian league standing a chance against them so long as injuries don't become too severe.

2nd Place: AS Roma
- I think Roma will make a jump back into champions league soccer this season with a very strong performance in Serie A. They have enough talent on that team to really make a move.

3rd Place: Inter Milan
- They'll be in a dog fight this year to stay in champions
league football. They have some wonderful players on that team, no doubt, but it all centers around Sneijder. I'm not convinced he is staying. If he does, they should easily finish in the top three. If not, they'll have to pull out some amazing results to even finish 4th, I think.

4th Place: Juventus
- The return of the "big 4" in Italy will be completed wit
h Juve finally making it back near the top. I think they have enough chemistry between them that they won't be thrown off by a team like Napoli or Udinesse as they were last season. It looks a bit predictable, but I really think it's the year for Italian football to return to the "norm" that people expect.

Copa Italia/Tim Cup
Champions: Roma
Roma will mark their return to the top of Italian soccer with a Copa Italia win, something they haven't done since 2008. I see them as the side beating Milan in the semis and having an incredible derby match in the final.

Runners Up: Lazio
- It'll be something to watch if this does in fact come true. A derby with this kind of importance added to it would be something you wouldn't want to miss. I think Roma will get the better of them, but that it will be a hell of a match.

UEFA Champions League
Champions: FC Barcelona
- Believe me, I want to be wrong about this. However, I think this team is the best of any club team by far. The talent they possess, especially in the middle and offensive third of the pitch, is just simply incredible. When will their dominance end? I don't know. It could very easily be this season. If I was a betting man, I'd wager it's not this season, though. They have far too much skill to not be the best in the world.

Runners Up: AC Milan
- I think my Milan side has the skill to really make a run in the Champions League. With the right draw (which this really heavily relies on) they could be in the semis without many people taking notice. Shalke did it last season and they aren't near the talent that Milan is. The years of getting beat by stupid English sides will come to an end with Milan knocking off United in the semis.


Wishful thinking? You better believe it.
I'll be lucky if even a few of these picks are right. But, as of right now, that's what my heart and eyes tell me. No matter what happens, I think we all can agree that its wonderful for the Europe season to be on our doorstep.

FORZA MILAN & RSL

Cheers,

15 to 32

No comments:

Post a Comment